Most routine and familiarity was abandoned when I left Arlington Heights for Long Beach. I’ve maintained the practice of Sunday Night Pizza. I still show up a few minutes late to wherever I’m supposed to be. I continue to have difficulty sleeping through the night. And I probably have always texted and tweeted too much. But most everything now is quite different from what it once was.

  • WAS: Alarm Buzzer at 6:22; Enough time for breakfast, review Twitter, and watch Golf Channel;
    IS: Alarm Buzzer at 6:11; Snooze. Snooze again? Dash out of the house; Fight Traffic; Devour granola at desk
  • WAS: Weekly visits to Mariano’s; Gathering produce and groceries for home cooked meals and packed lunches;
    IS: Twice Monthly trips to Vons; Might fill a hand-basket with bread and deli meats & cheeses; Dine out often
  • WAS: Abundant hope in Bulls & Blackhawks Postseason Championship Candidacy; Watch on living room HDTV
    IS: Sorrow-filled drinking for injuries to Rose & Kane, squint to watch via SLINGBOX on Dell laptop
  • WAS: Running outside to scrape ice off my car and letting it run for 30-minutes before departing
    IS: Opening the sunroof and reaching for my sunglasses as garage security gate opens
  • WAS: Ordering my sandwiches and burgers “plain”
    IS: Ordering my sandwiches and burgers “California style” (with avocado)

Recent weekend turned into a Fullerton-centric circumstance where I was able to explore another neighborhood. It began Friday night after a full day at the office when I traveled the 91 to the 57 (I’m learning the California vernacular and geography) to campus at Cal State Fullerton for the Titans baseball game under the lights against the Stanford Cardinal. I purchased my ticket and program, but unfortunately the coed had no pencils to keep score. I tried to limit time spent on the phone other than a few photos for the scrapbook and enjoyed my seat among various MLB scouts. The game was pretty sleepy, though Fullerton did take a no-hitter into the seventh inning. Two scouts took open seats in front of me late in the game to review a Stanford relief pitcher. Most of his fastballs were between 88-91, but he got our attention when he buzzed the tower with a 95-mph offering. We shared a giggle and all wondered where that came from. Stanford would go on to win 2-0.


Instead of my usual aimless wandering up Pine and down Shoreline, I drove over the Vincent Thomas Bridge to enjoy a pint at San Pedro Brewing Company. I was greeted at the front door by the bouncer and an unruly patron exchanging shoves and expletives. Thankfully I was not caught in the crossfire, perhaps because I was holding the door open as the town drunk was spilled onto the sidewalk. I eventually was able to make it inside the bar and posted up for a pilsner and a blonde before returning to Long Beach.

Sunday was the unceremonious conclusion of the Lakers season. We were short-handed as players had conflicts or shunned the last doubleheader. We remained competitive during the first half of both games before ultimately being blown out. At least the kids got cupcakes after the second game. There was no room in my tummy for any sweet treat thanks to my lunch between games at Roscoe’s Famous Deli. If this spot isn’t yet actually famous, it should be. It combines the best aspects of a sandwich shop, biker bar, and neighborhood tavern. I sat myself outside and enjoyed my sandwich stacked high with salami and pepperjack on rye and left enough meat for lunch on Monday. I had more time to burn and enjoyed a leisurely walk around the SOCO District of Downtown Fullerton and near the train depot.

IMG_1964 IMG_1956 IMG_1958


Arthur Howey Ross (January 13, 1886 – August 5, 1964) was a Canadian ice hockey defenceman and executive from 1905 until 1954. Regarded as one of the best defenders of his era by his peers, he was one of the first to skate with the puck up the ice rather than pass it to a forward. He was on Stanley Cup championship teams twice in a playing career that lasted thirteen seasons; in January 1907 with the Kenora Thistles and 1908 with the Montreal Wanderers. Like other players of the time, Ross played for several different teams and leagues, and is most notable for his time with the Wanderers while they were members of the National Hockey Association (NHA) and its successor, the National Hockey League (NHL). In 1911 he led one of the first organized player strikes over increased pay. When the Wanderers’ home arena burned down in January 1918, the team ceased operations and Ross retired as a player.

After several years as an on-ice official, he was named head coach of the Hamilton Tigers for one season. When the Boston Bruins were formed in 1924, Ross was hired as the first coach and general manager of the team. He would go on to coach the team on four separate occasions until 1945 and stayed as general manager until his retirement in 1954. Ross helped the Bruins finish first place in the league ten times and to win the Stanley Cup three times; Ross personally coached the team to one of those victories. After being hired by the Bruins, Ross, along with his wife and two sons, moved to a suburb of Boston, and became an American citizen in 1938. He died near Boston in 1964.

Outside of his association with the Bruins, Ross also helped to improve the game. He created a style of hockey puck still used today, and advocated an improved style of goal nets, a change that lasted forty years. In 1947 Ross donated the Art Ross Trophy, awarded to the leading scorer of the NHL regular season. Ross was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1949.

Further Information Available at Wikipedia


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s